IWD profiles: Hajara Mohammed Jamher

Linda Barclay Isles
Monday 11 March 2024
Hajara Mohammed Jamher, Space Planner in Estates

International Women’s Day 2024 – #InspireInclusion 

International Women’s Day is an opportunity to champion the power of women’s voices and drive positive change.

We spoke to women across the the University who all have one thing in common – an unwavering pursuit of equality. We asked them why they thought it was important to mark IWD, who inspires them and what they love about being a woman.

Is there a woman who has inspired you personally or professionally?

I was raised in a strong matriarchal household. I grew up watching my grandmother/mother/aunts/sister have a voice, and have their opinions valued and respected. They stood their ground, were independent and still never hesitated to lean on each other for support. They say it takes a village to raise a child and my maternal village in a sense inspired me to be the woman/wife/mother/colleague I am today.

What is one thing that you would like to see done to help further equality for women?

I would love to see women be represented more in senior management positions and change-maker positions. I think having women in positions of power making decisions that affect women.

What did you want to be when you were young? 

I dreamt of all careers like one does . a pilot, a police officer, a teacher but I always knew I had to be creative in what I do, and I am happy I could clear my head quite young to know I wanted to be a designer which I am today.

What you love about being a woman? 

The sisterhood that comes from women known and unknown no matter where you travel or state of mind you are in.